Monday, March 10, 2008

Nikon, sweet Nikon!

Anyone who knows me knows that I shot Canon for a long time. I loved Canon and most of my Canon work was studio but I did shoot a lot of my portraiture with Canon. I loved the selection of lenses, the availability of accessories and I loved the wheel (Canon users will know all about that)!

But I made a switch about 3 months ago to Nikon. I don't know the real reason for my switch but I think I just wanted to try something new. I got the D300 as I mentioned in my first blog, along with a few amazing lenses. It was a little hard to get used to the controls but the ergonomics were easy to love. The controls are second nature and now, I don't miss the wheel at all as I first did. The switch in lens mounting was the biggest hurdle. I tried to put the caps and lenses on the wrong way for a solid 2 months and now I find that I am beginning to mess up on my Canon stuff...lol Just goes to show how little I use it.

The D300 is amazing, it focuses well in low light. Its responsive, its durable, its comfortable and best of all, I do very little post production in photoshop. I love Nikon's 24-70 2.8 lens as much as I did on the Canon version.

Canon makes some amazing equipment and their primes...well if you know anything about lenses you know that Canon's primes are amazing! As for zooms (the type of lenses I prefer), Nikon I think has an slight edge. When purchasing lenses and putting myself way in the hole, I knew there might be a day I could afford the amazing D3, so I didn't get any DX lenses. I hope to have the D3 someday and then I will get a 14 fisheye; I believe it is a 14.

I have only one complaint with Nikon, their poor higher ISO performance. This has plagued Nikon since they started making digital SLR's. I HATE the noise reduction on the Nikon and the noise is only a stop better than that of the D200 and we know the D200 wasn't great in the high ISO department.

No comments:

About Me