Monday, September 8, 2008

Nikon D3

Well, as most of my photographer friends know, I have switched from Canon to Nikon more times than I like to admit. In a previous post I mentioned how I had switched from Canon to Nikon because I loved the ergonomics and colors the Nikon produced. Well what some of you don't know is that I switched back to Canon to get the greatness of the 5D.

Well like most things in life, the 5D didn't live up to its reputation! I found the 5D slow, to have poor controls and the weather sealing well, I should say, a lack of weather sealing.

Since I shoot weddings and sports, I decided to try the 1D Mark III by Canon. Wow, what a great camera it was but still, I wanted the ergonomics and colors that Nikon produces. So a few months ago, I sold the 1D Mark III and went back to Nikon and bought the D300. After a couple of months I got the itch for the D3. And so what do most people do when they have an itch...they scratch it?

So off to the local stores I went...I needed to see how great the D3 really was. I also needed to see why Nikon charges so much for it.

The whole time, drooling as I drove to my local camera store. Thinking, is it as good as they say? The 1D Mark III was good but I mean, it wasn't life changing. I pull up at Colonial Photo and Hobby in Orlando, FL. I get out and first I think, I am going to try Nikon's new camera the D700 along with the D3.

I walk in the store and up to the counter I go...nothing stopped me, not even the beautiful Think Tank bags (which I currently own). Wiping the drool from my mouth I ask to see the D700 and the D3. I wanted a side-by-side comparison of the two. The D700 with the grip did feel really nice in my hands, it felt solid, the controls were much like my D300 so they were quite familiar.

Then I grabbed the D3, pressed the shutter button and floated off into photography bliss! If you have ever held a DSLR in your hands, then grabbed a D3, you should know what I am talking about here. The sound of the carbon fiber and kevlar shutter was so pleasing to the ear. The sleek black curves are so sexy! The controls are well laid out and easily accessible. The viewfinder...oh the viewfinder!!! Full 100% viewing of all full-frame (FX) goodness!

Then the final nail in the coffin for the D700...DUAL CF card slots of the D3 vs. the single slot in the D700! If the D700 was geared towards wedding photographers and the like, why didn't it have this feature? As a wedding photographer it seems like a must! Immediate back-up of all those beautiful files!

So, a week or so later, I received a beautiful gift in the form of a D3 from my wife Lauren!

Below are two pictures, one is a picture I took at a recent session with the D3 and the other is a picture of my new love.



2 comments:

Scott David Waisanen said...

nice new toy Mike and great shot. I can 'picture' you drooling at the counter of Colonial Photo. Enjoy the new piece of Nikon sweetness. Keep up the good work.

Kevin Keelan said...

Mike,
I seriously think even if you had a etcher sketch in your hand you would create amazing imagesJ
I can’t wait to see what you do with your new D3.
Oh, and stand up right and go give Lauren a great big hug & a kiss, she is one special girl!
Continued Blessings, Kev

About Me